Daily Archives: August 2, 2012
Two similar questions this week: Overall, what factor most influences your choice of your next read? What is it that makes you want to read a book by an author you have never read before?
It’s got to have an interesting element that I’ve never seen before. Right now I’m devouring I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga and while I’m not a huge, huge fan of mystery, I had to read this book because of the interesting take on the classic mystery formula and the fascinating male main character. It’s a mystery with a killer’s perspective. That little twist is making for an awesome read. I don’t read much contemporary fiction, I’m more a fantasy girl, so it has to have an interesting hook to catch me. It’s the same when looking at authors. Life is too short to be reading boring books. Books with generic plots or stereotypical characters won’t get a second look from me.
What are some things I look for when I pick up a book? I present you, a mini list!
1) A male main character. A lot of YA books have female main characters but I’ve noticed I have more luck with books that have male main characters. A book with a male main character will have a better chance with me.
2) Does it have a fantasy element? Reading is an escape and the farther I can get from reality, the better. I enjoy fantasy books more than contemporary fiction for this reason.
3) Does this character sound like they’re going to annoy the hell out of me? Female characters often have several behaviors that drive me up the wall. They are avoided at all costs. Same goes for two dimensional males and small, irritating children.
4) Stupid romance? Instant true love just because she’s beautiful and he’s hot? I’ll pass. Thanks.
5) The Comma Rule. Open the book and flip through. Does it look like the author is using commas correctly? Yes? Then you’re good to go. The book is probably passingly well-written.