Musing Mondays 4/15/13
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
It’s Monday. It’s raining. And it is tax day. I can’t think of a more yucky combination to ruin a day. I should have stayed in bed.
My reading habits…
I can read, on average, 150 to 200 pages a day provided I use all my spare time to read. That’s on weekdays when I’m at work and can spend my lunch hour and the two hours I spend answering phones reading. Even then, I don’t get much reading done when I’m answering phones because, well, I have to stop and answer the phone when it rings. Very annoying. Very irritating. And probably the reason I might one day quit this job. I hate phones. But enough about that. On weekends I can read up to 300 pages. So, I can read a 300 to 350 page book in two days. Books closer to 400 pages take three days. And books with 400 pages are pretty much my limit. My attention span doesn’t last any longer than that and if the book is longer than 400 pages it’s usually because the plot wanders or the events are just too slow. Most Young Adult and Middle Grade books land in the mid to high 300’s and that plenty long in my opinion.
I’m a fidgety reader. I have to get up and walk around. I pause and put down the book to do something else a lot. I have the attention span of a gnat and I get restless. I bore easily. I probably wouldn’t finish a book if I also weren’t so stubborn. It takes focus to read a book in two days. If I don’t force myself to read as much as I can then it can take me weeks to finish a book. It’s happened. I just lose the drive and then I hardly read at all. I must have like ADD or something. I like to read. I love to read. But sometimes reading takes work and I just don’t have the drive. I snub the book in favor of cleaning or fiddling with a project or just wandering around the neighborhood because I can’t stay still. It’s like I’m trying to crawl out of my skin!
Anybody else like that? Is anybody else a fidgety reader or have times when you just lose the drive to read even though the book you’re reading is fine. I feel like such a scatter brain! Tell me I’m not alone!