Musing Mondays 4/29/13
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga was one of my favorite books last year. So I was super excited when Barry announced the sequel, Game, was to be released April 16th,2013. I had my reserve in at my library since the beginning of April. I went to pick my copy up at my library on Friday night. At first I thought the book I was given was not the right one. It was the Game cover wrapped around, oh I don’t know, some brick. This thing is 528 pages long. It is both book and murder weapon. Just hurl at your opponent’s head and their skulls will be crushed!
Barry, Barry, Barry! My man, what are you thinking? This is young adult, not the Odyssey. Books should be 300 to 400 pages long. Even just 400 pages seem to drag in most books. The quality of books that long is rarely equal to the effort needed to read it. But I’ll try, Barry. I really will. I Hunt Killers was just that great that I’ll make the effort to read Game. But, Barry, it better be the best book I’ve read this year or I’ll be very disappointed.
Has anyone else seen this? Where the second book in a series is so much bigger than the first? I know the Harry Potter series ballooned once it started getting so popular and Rowling went pretty nuts by the end, length wise. Any other series that just keep getting longer and longer? Let’s see how long it takes me to read a 500 page book!